Why are mold and mildew dangerous and how to avoid them?
Mold is a dangerous, toxic mildew with an unpleasant, musty odor. Most often, it can be encountered in rooms with high humidity – in a bathroom, kitchen, basement. Frequent places of its appearance are walls where moisture accumulates, ceiling, joints on windows.
Why does mold and mildew appear?
Mold appears only in an environment that is favorable for it. The most common place to spawn is in the bathroom. The reasons for this are insufficient fresh air, high humidity, dampness. The vowel rule to prevent the formation of mold is to take care of the walls, they need to be wiped down frequently, water drops must be removed from the shower stall, and used towels and washcloths must not be left wet, they must be dried.
The reasons for the appearance of the mildew depend on the place in which it “lives”.
If you notice mold on the corner of the house, then it is most likely that a chip or crack has formed in the wall, into which water gets. In winter, the wall freezes over and condensation accumulates inside.
A very common case is the formation of mildew and mold in apartments on the first floor, or in houses. Problematic places are usually walls, corners, tiles, floor (under lenolium, floor tiles). The cause of this problem is insufficient ventilation, the ingress of damp air from basements, in which there are water leaks or a malfunction of the sewage system.
Laundry drying indoors or in a room can increase the humidity in the apartment. In the kitchen, the appearance of mold can be caused by the absence of an exhaust hood, due to which the fumes from the cooking process remain on the ceiling, walls, and the windows fog up. The source of additional moisture can be aquariums, indoor plants, the soil of which is constantly moistened.
Mold not only damages certain areas of the house, but also has a detrimental effect on human health. Mold spores that enter a living organism through the respiratory tract and accumulate in it disrupt the functioning of a living organism
The presence of mold particles in the body leads to the following ailments:
- dermatitis is a common skin disease;
- problems with the respiratory tract (runny nose, frequent cough);
- disruption of the musculoskeletal system;
- joint pain;
- general weakness, headaches;
- allergic reactions.
Mildew spores not only spread on the walls, but also settle on the human body, which causes irritation. They can irritate the intestinal mucosa, affect the hair and nails of a person.
Mold and mildew are serious sources of allergens that have a very unpleasant odor. Spores, penetrating into the circulatory system through breathing, provoke nausea, vomiting, and headaches.
The most vulnerable category of people is small children, adolescents and adults with weak immune systems. Fear is caused by the fact that diseases and ailments provoked by mold spores have practically not been studied in medicine. As a result, doctors, who don’t know about the presence of mildew in the body, make completely different diagnoses, prescribe a treatment that does not fight against fungal microorganisms in any way, and they progress in the human body.
Effective tips to avoid mold and mildew
- systematic ventilation of the premises, this makes conditions unbearable for mold. In winter, you only need to open the window for ventilation in order to prevent overcooling of the walls and the occurrence of condensation;
- the air in the room must be warm and dry;
- it is impossible to constantly dry clothes in closed rooms of the apartment;
- timely replacement of pipes and drains, which have even minor water leaks;
- ensuring adequate ventilation in the bathroom;
- when repairing or building a house, you must choose only dry building materials;
- the balcony can be covered with polyurethane, which will protect against moisture ingress.
Take care of the cleanliness of your bathroom and kitchen, and if you have any problems, immediately call Miami bathtubs. Our specialists are always ready to help you!